Re: Re: RC3 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Re: RC3 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > Okay, unless someone can come up with a really good argument *for* why
> > docs has to be included as part of the main tar file, I'm going to change
> > the distributin generating script so that it generates a .src.tar.gz file
> > seperate from the .doc.tar.gz file, which will make .src.tar.gz ~6Meg
> > instead of the 8meg we are currently forcing ppl to download ...
>
> > Peter E, is there anything part of the configure/make procedure that
> > *requires* pgsql/doc to be there else it will break?  If so, can you
> > possibly put it as a test "if docs exists, deal with it, else ignore"?
>
> We're going to do this at this point in the release cycle?  IOW, is
> there going to be an RC4 with this new packaging, or is the first-off
> tarball with new packaging going to be the *final* 7.1 release *raised
> eyebrow*?

there will be an RC4, I'm just waiting to hear back from Peter E as to
whether there is anything in the build process we even risk breaking ...
we've been doing the whole split thing for the past release or two as it
is (the FreeBSD ports collection using the individual packages instead of
the great big one) so from a packaging perspective, its well tested ...