Re: Re: Proposal for encrypting pg_shadow passwords - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: Re: Proposal for encrypting pg_shadow passwords
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > Attached please find:
> > >
> > >     the original proposal to encrypt pg_shadow
> > >     a diff of the current CVS
> > >     two new files (backend/libpq/md5.c and include/libpq/md5.h)
> > >         which implement MD5 encryption (from Vince with cleanups)
> >
> > I also see that the md5.c implementation does not use palloc and makes the
> > rather odd assumption that long int == unsigned64.
>
> That is from Vince's code, I think.  Can you suggest a fix?
>
> > What's your rush?  Is there a deadline now?
>
> I want to do SCM patch, then write presentation for LinuxWorld, and go
> to Linuxworld. Then we are at the end of August.  Also, people need to
> do the Java MD5 code, and if I want that before we start 7.2 beta, I
> feel rushed.

Interesting... When I first put together a test version of the md5
stuff and asked this list to check it out on as many platforms as
possible I got one or two responses.  I now know the only way to get
more than a couple of responses is to threaten the code be committed. :(

Vince.