Re: Web site gripes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: Web site gripes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Adam Haberlach wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 04:38:58PM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Norman J. Clarke wrote:
> >
> > > You do an excellent job Vince. By and large the website is awesome, and I
> > > love some of the newest additions such as the interactive docs. But you
> > > should listen to his gripes and respond in a more polite way. If you think
> > > he is wrong, then explain why.
> > >
> > > Responding with a personal attack is not helpful at all and seems really
> > > out of sync with the tone of the rest of the list. When I saw his first
> > > email I cringed because from reading your previous posts I knew you were
> > > going to respond exactly as you did.
> >
> > I'll try to keep this plain and simple.
> >
> > If you (anyone) have suggestions for the website, I'm all ears.  But if
> > you're looking to be blown off, insulted, treated rudely, etc. then you
> > need to preface it with a bunch of whining gripes that have little to
> > no foundation.  Make yourself look as clueless as possible.  If you're
> > going to go looking for things to bitch about as your lead-in to the
> > suggestions you have, don't get upset if I tell you where to go.  If I
> > did it to you I'd expect the same result.  On the flip side of the coin,
> > I'm not one for praises either.
>
>     Ok, I've held my tongue on this for a while, now, but your attitude
> is just annoying the shit out of me.  I'll keep it plain and simple,
> too.

You started out fine, then you got to the whining:

> o. When I /do/ make it to a docs page, I end up at a "oldest stuff at
> the top" list, when it is likely that the first thing people want is
> going to be the newest docs.
>
> o. When I finally make it to the documentation for my version, I get
> a list of no less then 38 different links, covering almost all
> permutations of

That should be enough, but as you know (since you wrote it) there is more.

I'm not going to get into it again, you don't like my attitude, I don't
like yours or your whining.  End of conversation.

Vince.