Re: beta5 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: beta5 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>
> > http://hub.org/~vev/regress.php
> >
> > What other info is needed to distinguish these systems?
>
> The operating systems should be ordered by some key other than maybe
> author's preference. ;-)

Actually it's more random than by preference.  FreeBSD came first 'cuze
I run it and I always list it first (and alphabetically it comes before
Linux).  I then kept the bsds together, but those were actually added
last.  Some of the others came from looking at the directory where the
FAQs reside and going in that order.

> Linux needs to be split into one for each distribution.

I need a list of them since the only ones I can think of are redhat, suse
and slackware (does slackware even still exist?).

> 'Sun' should probably be SunOS.

Ok.

> Also of interest:
>
> - config.guess output

comes later.  This is mainly for machine identification.  But it is noted
since I didn't think of it.

> - Linker version
>
> - GNU make version
>
> - configure command line (`pg_config --configure`)

Comes later.

> Bison version is probably not interesting, since anything but 1.28 is not
> to be considered serious.
>
> 'Platform' could be better named 'CPU type'.  'CPU speed' and 'Total RAM'
> are probably not interesting for anything but statistics.

Changed platform.

> 'libc' version is probably not interesting for anything but Linux?   If
> so, it is already implied if you name the distributor.

And if someone upgrades libc?  I add that 'cuze when a friend of mine was
using redhat for his isp (quite a while ago) someone upgraded his libc for
him - what a mess that made!

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from
$16.00/moat Pop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop