Re: [ANNOUNCE] Banner Ads ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Banner Ads ...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Effective immediately, PostgreSQL, Inc is now offer banner ad space on the
> > mailing list and search facilities of http://www.postgresql.org ...
> >
> > At a rate of $50CDN (~$35US) per 1000 impressions, this provides you a
> > means of supporting the project (50% of all revenue generated goes back
> > into PostgreSQL), as well as a way of advertising your project...
> >
> > Current count for number of pages affected is >68 000, and >37 000 pages
> > viewed daily, the potential exposure is high ...
>
> Wow, that's a high number 37k/day.  Is that real people or search
> engines?

Everything ... and I fear I screwed up :(   I forgot that our search
engine was being populated yesterday, so that would be included in that
number...

More accurate numbers (and realistic) is 953 so far today ... the cgi's
are installed on pgsql.com, and the search engine software appears
designed to not pick up banner ads as long as their base URL isn't the
same as the page itself, so 953 is what ppl are seeing, not what the
search engine as indexed ...

So, more accurately, we're seeing ~2k/day ... we're going to be tracking
all this, to watch growth and whatnot ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org