pg_dump errors - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Richard Hodges
Subject pg_dump errors
Date
List pgsql-docs
I have just spent some time frustrated with a pg_dump problem. My goal was
simply to copy data from two 7.0.3 tables to a new 7.1.2 database.  The
symptom was a (nearly) endless series of "invalid command \N" error
messages when trying to "restore" into the new database.

I could find maybe a dozen or so references on Google, and none of them
seemed to give me the information I needed to solve this problem.
Finally, I ran across one message suggesting that using the "-d" option
("Dump data as proper insert strings") with pg_dump would avoid the
errors. Sure enough, it works.

The "PostgreSQL User's Guide" does list the "-d" option for pg_dump, but I
don't see how one would find out that this is the solution to the "invalid
command \N" problem.  Perhaps this would be an appropriate addition to the
FAQ?

Thanks,

-Richard

   Richard Hodges   | Matriplex, inc.