Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Yes.  It shows we are getting bigger.  Most/all? of my commerical
> > > database clients don't have 2-gig tables.
> >
> > I'm not sure what is involved in fixing this, but...>2gig tables, in the
> > past, were iffy to start with.  if we can fix before v6.5, fine...if not,
> > my opinion is that isn't a release stopper.  Or, rather...is it something
> > that, other then in testing, has affected anyone?

> > > Is that not a problem.  What possible use would GROUP BY on columns not
> > > in target list be of use.  Maybe it is.  I remember someone asking for
> > > something like this.  I will remove the item unless someone complains.
> > > I thought you were the one complaining about it.
> >
> > Even if we don't remove it, sounds like a feature vs bug fix...
>
> We are not saying these are show-stoppers, but things that should be
> resolved before final, no?

But, if htey should be resolved before final, doesn't taht make it a
show-stopper? *raised eyebrow*

Christopher brings up a point about the >2gig vacuum problem...I'm kinda
curious as to what sort of time frame we'd be looking at on fixing that
(1)...what sort of demographic this affects (2) and whether or not this
could be done as a 'side patch' so that those it does affects would have
access to it (3) ...

Assuming that 1 is large and 2 small, 3 could/should be released sometime
after v6.5 is released and provided for those that it affects.

If 1 is small (<1week?), then the point is moot...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org