Re: [GENERAL] The WWW of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] The WWW of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, darold wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I don't want to create a polemic, but is it possible to make a
> recovery of the previous WWW interfaces of the postgreSQL.org site?
> What does an elephant do on the home page? Probably you have been
> hacked :-)

The elephant surrounded by the diamond has been adopted as our official
logo...we've really gotta come up with a short 'explanation' of the logo
though, too many ppl are confused.

Basically, the elephant represents the strength of the server...the
ability to hold itss own and more...to go the distance.  There was a
better description of it posted while we were deciding, but I can't
remember what it was :)

> The previous logo was the good one., If you need help to design a new
> interface perhaps I can contribut or some others better designer than
> me. As I understand the site need a professionnal way for the support,
> so now it really doesn't take this highway but seems to be a student
> site.

Actally, Vince and Dmitry are working on improving that...see
http://devnull.wplus.net/pub/postgres for an idea of the direciton its
going...they aer just working out some issues.

> I'm sorry for the person who's doing this work, but I think he or she
> will be agree with me that graphism is not its best way :-)

Actually, I think the work that Jan has done so far as been top
notch...you are welcome to improve (or try to) on what he's done, but the
logo design itself has been decided upon, and I really don't see how you
can make it any better then it is.

Again, the logo at the above site is more 'crisp' then what we currently
have...Vince did a 'blow up' of it, which has resulted in it being just
slighty more grainy then it had to be :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org