Re: [HACKERS] CVS.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CVS....
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Matthew C. Aycock wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> I looked at this and it tells you how to get the sources via
> CVSup or cvs, but not how to keep them in sync so to speek.
> I would like the ability to make my own branches and so forth
> to play with certain aspects of the database. However, I would
> like the ability to fold in patches in a big group without having
> to apply each patch by hand.
>
> Any other ideas?

I don't believe that you can...my understanding of CVSup is that you can
"mirror" the remote site 's cvs repository with it, and checkout as you
want, but if you check something back in again, it will be gone the next
time an update comes down...

Here are my settings for pulling down the CVS repository for
FreeBSD...I've never tried to do a branch on it, so my above paragraph
isn't based on tryin git...

# Defaults that apply to all the collections
*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr/local/freebsd-cvsroot
*default release=cvs
#*default tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix

Noice thta the 'tag' line is commented out...

There is a pretty good description of CVSup at:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html

And John Polstra tends to be very responsive to questions about his
software :)

> > Matt
> >> Okay, after a long fight with modula3 I know have a working version
> >> of cvsup for Solaris 7 SPARC. Know, what I would like to do is to use
> >> cvsup to update my local cvs repoistory. How would I go about doing
> >> this?
> >
> >Look at doc/src/sgml/cvs.sgml (no product yet since it it's a jumble
> >still). I can send you a copy if you don't have a recent tarball.
> >
> >                     - Tom

> Matthew C. Aycock
> Operating Systems Analyst/Admin, Senior
> Dept Math/CS