Re: [HACKERS] Re: XML (was: 2 patches) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: XML (was: 2 patches)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Goran Thyni wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > XML is a buzzword, but it has enormous potential,
> > > and it is not foreign to the pgsql community since
> > > we are already using the father of XML (SGML) for
> > > the docs.
> > >
> > > Suggestion:
> > > CORBA and XML should replace current FE/BE-protocol for v. 7.0
> > > Comments?
> >
> > I vote against it.  Maybe nice to have as an extra, but the base
> > protocol seems to work well, and is fast.
>
> You are right,
> let me rephrase myself:
> - the "base protocol" might become obsolite if and when we have
>   a better object base alternative (CORBA and/or XML).
> - this might be the case for v. 7.0 or later.

Okay, we have to sides to the coin here...Bruce, who feels that our
current protocol is both good and fast, and you, who wants to replace it
:)

My question is simple...what benefit is gained by replacing current
protocol?  And, what cons?

Replacing something is great, if there is a reason...what is that reason
and how does that improve us?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org