Re: [HACKERS] Re: XML (was: 2 patches) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Goran Thyni
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: XML (was: 2 patches)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > XML is a buzzword, but it has enormous potential,
> > and it is not foreign to the pgsql community since
> > we are already using the father of XML (SGML) for
> > the docs.
> >
> > Suggestion:
> > CORBA and XML should replace current FE/BE-protocol for v. 7.0
> > Comments?
>
> I vote against it.  Maybe nice to have as an extra, but the base
> protocol seems to work well, and is fast.

You are right,
let me rephrase myself:
- the "base protocol" might become obsolite if and when we have a better object base alternative (CORBA and/or XML).
- this might be the case for v. 7.0 or later.

This is an idea for a game plan:
1. Make a proxy server
2. Integrate it in postmaster when stable (code-wise and protocol-wise)
3. Add closer integration with DB-objects

This game plan would perhaps work to get CORBA of the ground too,
there might even be sensible to make a common CORBA/XML-proxy.

I will look in to this, but will be working out of town for 2 months
(mainly feb-mars) so I will not promise anything for 6.5.

Any help or input (right now comment on the DTD etc) welcome.
regards,
--
Göran Thyni