Re: [GENERAL] Re: [MIRRORS] Revamp'd Web Site... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [MIRRORS] Revamp'd Web Site...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Steve Doliov wrote:

> secondary reasons to ditch frames are the navigation difficulties they
> present (back button backs out of only the frame which has current focus
> and that scrollbars eat up valuable real estate on a browser window; not
> lynx friendly etc etc.

    I'm lost as to what you mean about the back button...if I hit
'back' on my browser (Netscape under Win95), it goes to the last frame I
viewed, regardless of how many different frames I viewed, which is the
same  as before...

    The scroll bar had always been there, and, except on the smaller
resolutions, there is no more or less real estate being taken up...

    As for lynx friendly...I've viewed the currently layout under
Lynx, and it appears fine to me *shrug*, but I'm also running a relatively
new version of it (2.8.x)...but, the old uses tables in many places which
also don't look good or come up under older Lynx's...

> i recently learned a design trick from a friend who is a real pro at this
> stuff (www.peterme.com) and I am working on version three of my site that
> will incorporate this

    Looked at his site, and its not quite the same effect that we're
trying to accomplish.  For starters, I find it very slow to load, and I'm
running on a T1 right now, and, for two, under Lynx, it doesn't look any
better then, it not worse then, what I've currently got up.

    The one thing I like about what is up there now s that you can go
to the 'frame-list' under Lynx, and get a listing of the pages available,
without cluttering up the screen...the old PostgreSQL site didn't provide
that ...