Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Snapshot has not compiled in a couple of days - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Snapshot has not compiled in a couple of days
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > remaining messages. Can we get rid of the shift/reduce conflicts? I
> > > haven't looked at the code, but there is a debugging flag on yacc/bison
> > > ("-v") which will write a log file identifying the conflicting
> > > statements. I have some experience debugging this on the main parser,
> > > but need to work on docs so shouldn't do this at the moment :(
> >
> >     If I can figure out bison, I'll try and work these out...one way
> > to learn, I guess :)
>
> This ecps is hot, but it seems it is still 'in process' as we approach
> release date.  Can we do what we did with pgaccess, and get a web site
> that has the most recent version, and just ship a current version with
> 6.3, and people can go to the web site to get the newest copy?  We put a
> nice README in the pgaccess directory pointing people to a web site
> having the most recent version.  Seemed to work well.

    ecpg isn't a seperate package, so this isn't really an alternative
in this case :(

    The above problem is more an annoyance then anything, and, quite
frankly, I don't understand enough about yacc/bison to work out where.
Well, I understand more now then when I started, but still have a long way
to go.  Next Nutshell book, I fear :)

    I'm going to do a run through of the code again tomorrow at work,
on the two Solaris boxes, and check for compiler problems...

    Jan, how goes the pg_shadow stuff?  I believe we still have
breakage in initdb, but Bruce is waiting for that patch before
investigating further?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org