Re: [HACKERS] postgres initdb on ALPHA/Digital Unix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] postgres initdb on ALPHA/Digital Unix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Peter Stockwell wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Kenji T. Hollis wrote:
>
> I have already posted this problem to the pgsql-ports mailing list,
> but it is less that totally evident from our remote location what is
> the best strategy, so I await developments here on 64 bit issues with
> interest.

    all I can say to both you and Kenji...please stay vocal in here.
As Bruce has already shown, about the best we can offer is to try to help
point you in the right directions towards fixing this, but the fix has to
come from you guys.  Use this list (or, preferrably, pgsql-ports) to
discuss this issues amongst yourself...we'll throw in ideas as we can
think of them, but you are the ones that have to act on the ideas...

    Peter, how much experience do you have with gdb?  I don't know if
this would help any (Bruce, comments?), but if you are reasonably familiar
with gdb, make a debug (-g) postmaster/postgres binary, and when it core
dumps (I believe Kenji said that it did core dump), do an analysis of the
core using gdb.  If nothing more then doing a 'where' inside of gdb to
show us the sequence of functions leading to the dump, and then hopefully
one of us will be able to suggest where to go next, as well as what
variables should be printed out at those points to give an idea of what
may be wrong...

    Hell, if it helps any, I'll do the manual aspect of this if
someone wants to give me access to their machine, and try to work with
Bruce on this *shrug*

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org