RES: RES: 8.2.4 selects make applications wait indefinitely - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlos H. Reimer
Subject RES: RES: 8.2.4 selects make applications wait indefinitely
Date
List pgsql-general
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 10/11/07, Carlos H. Reimer <carlos.reimer@opendb.com.br> wrote:
> >> It=B4s "<IDLE>" but the "query_start" column is refreshed.
>
> > Then the query runs and finishes and the problem is something to do
> > with the delivery of the data.  Not sure after that...
>
> That seems to eliminate the possibility that the problem is on the
> server side.  I'd suggest trying to get a stack trace from the client
> to figure out what it's doing.
>
> BTW, have you looked into the theory that it's triggered by total
> data volume rather than number of columns?  That is, try selecting
> all the columns but use LIMIT to reduce the number of rows fetched?
The where clause limits the number of rows returned to 1 only. Only some
primery keys are affected. For example, "Select * from table where pk=1"
works and returns only one line but "select * from table where pk=2" locks
and there is only one line with pk=2 in the table. I believe it is triggered
by something else.

Reimer