Re: RES: 8.2.4 selects make applications wait indefinitely - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RES: 8.2.4 selects make applications wait indefinitely
Date
Re: RES: 8.2.4 selects make applications wait indefinitely  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
"Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On 10/11/07, Carlos H. Reimer <carlos.reimer@opendb.com.br> wrote:
>> It=B4s "<IDLE>" but the "query_start" column is refreshed.

> Then the query runs and finishes and the problem is something to do
> with the delivery of the data.  Not sure after that...

That seems to eliminate the possibility that the problem is on the
server side.  I'd suggest trying to get a stack trace from the client
to figure out what it's doing.

BTW, have you looked into the theory that it's triggered by total
data volume rather than number of columns?  That is, try selecting
all the columns but use LIMIT to reduce the number of rows fetched?

            regards, tom lane