Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
An idea I like, because I have entrenched windows clients also, is to run
things that run best under Linux on VMWare (vmware.com) and to run good
Windows things (like desktop apps) under Windows.  Linux can be either the
host or guest OS under VMWare, so the options of which OS is truly in
control are symmetrical.  I'm proposing this to my customer to solve a
completely different set of problems (not PostgreSQL related) but the
approach might have merit here as well.

If anyone has tried this please respond.

Thanks,

Rick

                      Neil Dugan

                      <postgres@butterflystitc        To:       pgsql-general@postgresql.org

                      hes.com.au>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                        Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

                      pgsql-general-owner@post

                      gresql.org

                      03/10/2005 05:29 PM

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 16:19 +0000, Tope Akinniyi wrote:
> Hi all,

--- cut ---

> I sought Windows replication tool for and could not get.  I checked
> PgFoundry and the one there put a banner and said NOT FOR WINDOWS.
> Then I said is this PostgreSQL for Windows a joke?  That prompted
> my post - IS POSTGRESQL FOR LINUX ONLY?

Have you tried to setup the PostgreSQL server on a Linux computer (with
replication) and use it via PostgreSQL clients running on Windows(tm)
computers.  This way your clients will still have the OS they are use to
and the database server will be running on the best OS for it.

               http://archives.postgresql.org