Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> > 2. This response is alarming: Tom Lane wrote in digest V1.5092:
> >
> >> We are supporting Windows as a Postgres platform for the benefit of
> >> developers who want to do testing on their laptops (and for reasons
> >> best known to themselves feel a need to run >Windows on their
> >> laptops).
> >

> > a. Who are the 'we' Tom is talking about?
>
> In an email in the public lists we = Tom
>
>  > b. Is he speaking for
> > PostgreSQL Developers and the entire PostgreSQL community?
>
> Official pronouncements from "core" will be marked as such. No-one
> speaks for the "entire" PostgreSQL community. You're part of that
> community, just by virtue of downloading a copy and subscribing to the
> lists.

As a core member I can confirm that "we = Tom" in this context.  The
core group has made no decisions about the relative stability of Win32
vs Unix, and is unlikely to in the future.

The decision about operating system and stability are to be made by
end-users based on their experience.  We do our best to make all
platforms as well supported as possible.