Re: What makes a Postgres DBA? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lew
Subject Re: What makes a Postgres DBA?
Date
List pgsql-general

Greg Smith wrote:
> Organizing things as above, this turns into a somewhat fuzzy question
> about how much of the grid one has to cover before achieving that goal.
> Consider this; who will be more effective as a PostgreSQL DBA:
> There's understanding the breadth of this field, and there's knowing
> some depth about each of the topic, and the exact mix of the two varies
> from person to person.  There's so many aspects to this type of work
> that drawing a line and saying "if you know X, Y, and Z you can consider
> yourself a Postgres DBA" doesn't make a lot of sense.  You mentioned
> training and certification.  Part of the value of going through either
> of those is that you end up with some baseline idea of what someone who
> has gone through the class/test has been exposed to.

Rephrase the claim.  Since "being a Postgres DBA" is not a binary state, you
should honestly say where you fall in the spectrum.  Instead of "I'm a PG
DBA", one could say, "I have some experience as a PG DBA and I am comfortable
with the role."  Variations might include, "I have a lot of DBA experience,
but somewhat more limited PG-specific knowledge", or, "I've been honing my PG
DBA skills, and I have a solid but basic competence", and the like.

Chances are you will be able to make such judgments with much more confidence
than claiming to be or not to be a DBA.

--
Lew