Re: [ADMIN] Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Welty
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:19:51 -0500 (EST) Richard Welty <rwelty@averillpark.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:33:37 -0500 (EST) Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > I know we have updated our license in the past, particularly to remove
> > the advertizing clause.   I think we grabbed FreeBSD's version.  I don't
> > think we are inclined to update our wording unless there is a
> > significant reason to do so, and I don't think one project thinking it
> > is possibly confusing is enough, and of course, as you know, five
> > lawyers will give five different opinions.

> right, but how many lawyers have actually been consulted on this?

> i would agree that the OpenBSD interpretation is pretty severe,
> but in light of the current legal shenanigans with respect to some
> other open source projects, i think there is some merit to the
> severity.

actually, now that i think about it, tom is well paced at his current
day job to get a legal opinion from an IP lawyer. they certainly
have IP lawyers on retainer if not on staff, and they certainly have
an interest in the licensing state of PostgreSQL.

i think that this would be a good legal opinion to have.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net