Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wheel
Subject Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <74A84126-07CC-458C-B4FD-ECD2431831D8@mitre.org>,
john@mitre.org says...
> >> I have copied the folders back to the base dir (like C:\PostgreSQL
> >> \data
> >> \base\16404) if that's step one but what after that?
> >
> > Just start Postgres. If the data dir is ok, it should run fine.
>
> It's unclear from your description whether the raw DB files were
> moved from another installation - note that the above is only
> guaranteed to work if architecture/compiler/etc. are all the same.
> If the files were created by exactly the same PG instance, then you
> should be okay.
>
> - John D. Burger
>    MITRE

The raw db files are not from this installation, but same ver of windows
binary pg. Does this mean the db is not going to be useable/recoverable?