Re: Command names - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Efrain Caro
Subject Re: Command names
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, I'm not even a new user, I'm maybe a future new user but interested
right now. With the exception of the help command, I don't see any need to
change commands names. But  the help command would be very helpful.

----- Original Message -----
From: Keith L. Musser
To: PGSQL-General
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 9:39 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] Command names

I know all of you are accustomed to the command line interface for pgsql.
(Of course, some of you created it!)  However, I'd be interested if anyone
else feels the way I do....

I would prefer to have a consistent set of names for the commands.  For
example,
I propose the following:

Instead of this            use this.
createdb                    pg_createdb
createuser                 pg_createuser
destroydb                  pg_destroydb
initdb                        pg_initdb
initlocation                 pg_initlocation
pgaccess                   pg_accessgui
pgadmin                    pg_admin
pg_dump                   pg_dump
pg_dumpall                pg_dumpall
postgres                    pg_single
postmaster                pg_master
psql                          pg_access
vacuumdb                  pg_vacuumdb
???                           pg_help (list all these commands)

Not that it is terribly difficult the way it is.  But I simply think that a
consistent set of names would help new users, and help to prevent conflicts
with other commands in the PATH.  Any comments?

- Keith

Keith L. Musser
Integrated Dynamics, Inc.
812-371-7777