Re: Issues with german 'Umlaute' - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Iavor Raytchev
Subject Re: Issues with german 'Umlaute'
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> Nicolaus Erichsen <nico.erichsen@hsh-berlin.com> writes:
> > I recently found a problem with sorting german 'Umlaute' .
>
> Sounds like you did not set the right locale when creating
> the database.
> You need to be careful to run initdb with LANG (or LC_ALL or at least
> LC_COLLATE) set to what you want, probably "de_DE".
>
> > All this happens with a database  created with encoding ='latin1'.
>
> Encoding is not the issue, locale is.

Then what about having German, English, Italian and French words in the
same database? Shall we create four databases and place each language in
a separate one?

Iavor

--
Iavor Raytchev
very small technologies (a company of CEE Solutions)

www.verysmall.org