FW: Upgrading from 7.2 to 7.4.1 on Redhat 7 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jeremy Smith
Subject FW: Upgrading from 7.2 to 7.4.1 on Redhat 7
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello Scott,

thank you for this link.  But I wonder, do I need to do this if postgres has
never actually been used by any user of this server in the past?

This is what happened when I tried each step of that page:

2. pg_dumpall > file.txt

I received this error:

pg_dumpall: could not connect to database template1: could not connect to
server
: No such file or directory

3. kill -INT `cat /usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid`

postmaster.pid doesn't exist anywhere on my server.

Since all of that failed, I'm not sure if I should move ahead with:

mv /usr/local/pgsql /usr/local/pgsql.old

"After you have installed PostgreSQL 7.4, create a new database directory
and start the new server. Remember that you must execute these commands
while logged in to the special database user account (which you already have
if you are upgrading).

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data"

Thanks for all the help that I have received so far, it is very much
appreciated.  :)

Jeremy