Server side large object functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Weaver
Subject Server side large object functions
Date
Re: Server side large object functions  (Howard Cole <howardnews@selestial.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

The PostgreSQL manual indicates that:

"There are server-side functions callable from SQL that correspond to each
of the client-side functions described above."

In psql I can get the argument data types for lo_open:

development=# \df+ lo_open
                                                         List of functions
   Schema   |  Name   | Result data type | Argument data types | Volatility
wner   | Language | Source code |    Description
------------+---------+------------------+---------------------+------------+---
-------+----------+-------------+-------------------
 pg_catalog | lo_open | integer          | oid, integer        | volatile
| po
stgres | internal | lo_open     | large object open
(1 row)

But if I try to find the same for lo_read I get:

development=# \df+ lo_read
                                                 List of functions
 Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types | Volatility | Owner
anguage | Source code | Description
(0 rows)

Is there not a server side function for lo_read?  If so, how do I determine
the argument types?

My objective it to read a large object into memory as opposed to exporting
it to a disk file.

I'm using version 8.3.3, psqlODBC 8.2.2 and vb.net.

Thanks,
George