Re: Why doesn't my mail appear on the pgsql-announce list? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Why doesn't my mail appear on the pgsql-announce list?
Date
List pgsql-www
On 25 Apr 2016, at 04:48, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Takayuki,
>
> * Tsunakawa, Takayuki (tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com) wrote:
>>> The moderators have not approved it because it does not fall under any of
>>> the defined categories for acceptable mail to -announce.  The -announce
>>> policy is here:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>>
>> I didn't notice this page.  Thanks.
>> (But my mail seems to fall under " Major new advocacy effort"...)
>
> That's under "PostgreSQL Core News".  My understanding of that section
> is that it's for generally agreed to news from the core PostgreSQL
> community (which seems appropriate, given the rest of the items listed).
>
> In other words, were this discussed ahead of time on -advocacy, a
> consensus among the individuals on -advocacy reached, the survey put
> up postgresql.org, and just generally done through the community, then
> it would fall under that category.
>
> A posting of a survey from an independent organization doesn't fall
> under the "PostgreSQL Core News" category, as I read the policy.

Hmmm.  From the initial email (to -advocacy):
 "At the steering committee of PostgreSQL Enterprise Consortium (PGECons),  I proposed starting the following activity.
PGECons is a Japanese  non-profit organization to promote PostgreSQL for enterprise use.  The  members include NTT, SRA
OSS,Inc. (Tatsuo Ishii runs), NEC, Hitachi,  HP, Fujitsu (my company), etc."

So they're definitely already part of the greater PostgreSQL ecosystem.

> Consider what could happen if we were to allow this survey- we would be
> saying that we will allow surveys from more-or-less any organization to
> be posted to -announce.

Errr... why?  We don't seem so inundated with surveys that we need to
implement one of those (misguided) impersonal "we must treat everyone the
same" policies.

If some Evil Org comes along and wants us to do a survey that's
borderline or outright crap... we'd tell them to get lost. ;)

That's not the case here. :)

>>> Note that postgresql.org already has the ability to host surveys and for
>>> users to respond to those surveys.
>>
>> Yes, actually, I wanted to post the survey on postgresql.org, but I didn't know how.  In addition, it seemed that
postgresql.orgsurvey can contain only a single question.  My survey requires three questions.  What's more, the survey
formneeds to allow respondents to add new choices to the multiple-choice question, and the second question needs to
changebased on the first one.  Those requirements made me choose Google Form and write some Google App Script.

> I would suggest that you bring that up on -www as a feature request
> then, there may be others who are interested.  Of course, I'm sure that
> a patch to add such capability would go that much farther.  The source
> code for the website is available here:
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=summary
>
> Note that the website is currently undergoing a redesign of the
> front-end, so those pieces are likely to change in the near future.
> The backend code is also being upgraded to Django 1.8.  I don't know if
> that would present a problem or not for adding the capabilities you're
> asking for.  Asking on -www is probably the right approach before you
> start implementing any changes to that code.

Good points.  Sounds like adding the extra functionality might make it
suitable for future surveys, so they don't need to leverage google's
infrastructure instead.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi