Re: Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ogden
Subject Re: Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Apr 12, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:

> Ogden <lists@darkstatic.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been wrestling with the configuration of the dedicated Postges 9.0.3
>> server at work and granted, there's more activity on the production server, but
>> the same queries take twice as long on the beefier server than my mac at home.
>> I have pasted what I have changed in postgresql.conf - I am wondering if
>> there's any way one can help me change things around to be more efficient.
>>
>> Dedicated PostgreSQL 9.0.3 Server with 16GB Ram
>>
>> Heavy write and read (for reporting and calculations) server.
>>
>> max_connections = 350
>> shared_buffers = 4096MB
>> work_mem = 32MB
>> maintenance_work_mem = 512MB
>
> That's okay.
>

>> seq_page_cost = 0.02                    # measured on an arbitrary scale
>> random_page_cost = 0.03
>
> Do you have super, Super, SUPER fast disks? I think, this (seq_page_cost
> and random_page_cost) are completly wrong.

No, I don't have super fast disks. Just the 15K SCSI over RAID. I find by raising them to:

seq_page_cost = 1.0
random_page_cost = 3.0
cpu_tuple_cost = 0.3
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.005           # same scale as above - 0.005
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025             # same scale as above
effective_cache_size = 8192MB

That this is better, some queries run much faster. Is this better?

I will find the archive and post.

Thank you

Ogden