Re: [NOVICE] Postgres Syslog - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Delao, Darryl W
Subject Re: [NOVICE] Postgres Syslog
Date
Re: [NOVICE] Postgres Syslog  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
List pgsql-general
How about sending log messages to a single file.  I see a file under var/log
called pgsql, but it has nothing in it.  What do I need to enable in the
postgreql.conf to start logging to a local file?

Thanks,
Darryl

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Crawford [mailto:scrawford@pinpointresearch.com]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 3:41 PM
To: Delao, Darryl W; 'pgsql-novice@postgresql.org';
'pgsql-general@postgresql.org'
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Postgres Syslog

That's a syslog issue, not a PostgreSQL issue. Read your syslog.conf man
pages. For many versions of syslog you use:
local3.*<tab>@host
instead of
local3.*<tab>/var/log/mylogfile

I just used local3 as an example - substitute the syslog facility name to
which you are routing your postgresql messages.

Remember that syslog expects tabs, not spaces between the facility/priority
and the destination (at least in all the syslogs I have used - check your
man
pages).

Also be sure that the host is accepting remote syslog messages - most
default
setups don't allow this. You will probably need to set a flag to allow
remote
message logging.

Cheers,
Steve