Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
--On Sonntag, Januar 25, 2009 09:41:14 +0100 Guillaume Smet
<guillaume.smet@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think that we probably want the rules to show up automatically during
>> an upgrade from an older version
>
> I'm really not convinced by that. Is it required by the standard? It's
> really far from being compliant with the principle of least surprise.
> Personnally, I don't expect my views to become updatable.
>
> There should be an easy way to make a view become updatable but making
> all of them updatable automagically on upgrade seems weird.

I didn't find such a notion in the standard. A view is automatically
updatable if it meets the criteria of updatability). If you don't want your
view writable, you have to GRANT the necessary ACLs.

I originally had the idea of a GUC which controls wether automatic rules
will be generated or not. But I abonded this idea, since this has some kind
of "parametrized SQL standard functionality".

--  Thanks
                   Bernd