Installing pgAgent with MS Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jensen, Layne K CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 56210
Subject Installing pgAgent with MS Windows
Date
Re: Installing pgAgent with MS Windows  (terenceng <terenceng2010@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
 I have been struggling mightily to get pgagent working on our system, with no success, and would appreciate any instructions or advice.  I have spent hours searching the net for insight, but so far nothing has helped get me over the hump.

It would be gratifying if someone could simply reassure me that it can be done with currently-available distributions.

The details: PostgreSQL 9.1, PgAdmin III 1.16.0, pgagent 3.3.0, on a 32-bit MS Windows XP computer, running MS Visual Studio 2010.

I began by seeing the documenation in pgAdmin to the effect that pgagent must be installed separately, and tried to closely follow the instructions on how to do so.  But things come to a halt when it said to install the service by executing

"C:\Program Files\pgAdmin III\pgAgent" INSTALL pgAgent -u postgres -p secret hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=postgres user=postgres

The problem being that this program doesn't exist under pgAdmin, and must be built and installed.  So off to the PostgreSQL site to get it.  It only currently exists as source, as far as I can tell, so the next step is to grab the source and try to follow the instructions for building it, first installing wxWidgets and then using CMake to configure project files for Visual Studio.  Unfortunately, when the dust settled and I tried to build the solution/project in VS, a bunch of errors were reported in header files, etc., related to wxWidgets.  I even tried using the newly-available binary library files for wxWidgets and building pgagent that way, but still no joy.  I have tried everything I can think of.

As I said earlier, I would be grateful if someone could simply tell me they have gone through this process and ended up with a working pgAgent.  And then any detailed instructions on what you had to do so would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Layne

Attachment