Re: How to Sponsor a Feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Decibel!
Subject Re: How to Sponsor a Feature
Date
Re: How to Sponsor a Feature  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 12, 2008, at 8:49 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> If we want to help people to sponsor features, then I think we
>>> need to
>>> deal with subjects like finding someone to undertake the
>>> development,
>>> the sponsor's relationship with the developer, methods and times of
>>> payment, etc.
>>
>> The bit on the wiki is helpful for developers trying to get a new
>> feature
>> implemented but I think that's where its scope ends.
>
> We discussed this in the PGCon dev's meeting, and the outcome of the
> discussion was that we needed to put up a wiki page explaining to
> those
> trying to pledge the money what to do and what to expect.  David took
> the first step by writing the page being complained about.
>
> If the page doesn't explain what the title says, then the contents of
> the page needs to be fixed (not the title).

So were there decisions in the dev meeting about how the community
wants to handle people wanting to sponsor a project? Do they donate
to SPI? Do we have an escrow fund? Do we just point them at one of
the "Postgres Companies" and hope they're willing to pay for the
whole thing?
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org