Re: How to Sponsor a Feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: How to Sponsor a Feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Decibel! wrote:

> So were there decisions in the dev meeting about how the community wants
> to handle people wanting to sponsor a project? Do they donate to SPI? Do
> we have an escrow fund? Do we just point them at one of the "Postgres
> Companies" and hope they're willing to pay for the whole thing?

No, there weren't decisions.  Donating via SPI is hard because it is a
non-profit, and I think someone argued that paying someone to do
development could cause trouble on the IRS side of this.

I think what this page needs to say is that we are a community-oriented
project and thus the prospective sponsor needs to approach a company or
individual developer, with an understanding in the fact that even if the
patch turns out to work, it could be rejected by the community.  This is
what was said at the meeting, and I'm surprised that the page is instead
talking about how we interact in pgsql-hackers.

There was no solution proposed to the escrow problem, nor to allow
sponsoring of one feature by multiple independent individuals.

Incidentally, we have minutes from the meeting.  Is it OK to publish
them openly?