Re: copy from problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Watson
Subject Re: copy from problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 22/12/2010 21:34, Mark Watson a écrit :
> Hello all,
> (Postgres 8.4.6 Windows)
> I am stumped as to why I cannot import this using copy from within pgadmin
> (the following table is created in an existing database with an encoding
of
> WIN1252 and the Postgres server_encoding is UTF8) :
> CREATE TABLE test
> (
>   col_descr text
> )
> WITH (
>   OIDS=FALSE
> );
> ALTER TABLE test OWNER TO postgres;
> set client_encoding = 'WIN1252';
> COPY test FROM 'C:\\pgtemp\\test.txt' with  delimiter as '|' csv;
> select * from test;
> --- col_descr
> -- ----------------
> --                 (empty row)
>
> The file test.txt contains 1 line of 2 characters: éÉ  (acute accented
> lowercase and uppercase e, hex(E9C9), valid win1252 characters.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

It would be so much easier if you told us your error message.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Another update :
After toying around with this, I think this is a subject for the PgAdmin
list. It looks like a display problem in pgAdmin. The characters are being
displayed with a client_encoding of UTF8 but not with a client_encoding of
WIN1252. My application, which sets client_encoding to WIN1252, receives and
displays the characters correctly. By the way, my pgAdmin is configured with
Preferences=>Font = Tahoma windows-1252 and Query=>Font = Tahoma 9
windows-1252.