Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
List pgsql-hackers

--On 23. Januar 2009 18:07:38 -0500 Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:

> and what about default values? if we redirect we will have to use the
> table's default (something i like) and AFAIU we won't have the ability
> to change it for the view at least not without manually create a new
> DO INSTEAD rule (something i don't like)...
>
> i'm missing something? or can we implement such "REDIRECT" with the
> ability to respect view's own defaults?

It's too late for me to think technically about it, but you're right,
something to keep this behavior would be nice. I don't know wether the
standard has a notion about such behavior, too (have to look at it).

Note that a possible solution obviously has to allow the old behavior, so
in the first place this behavior can be easily restored.

Bernd