Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend.
Date
List pgsql-patches
On 5-May-04, at 11:32 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Yes, we need to show that it can be varied, but when we are trying to
> illustrate another concept, we should show examples that highlight
> that concept, not add additional complexity with showing we can put a
> tag between $$.  My guess is that if we show $tag$ all the time, folks
> will not know that they can just do $$, which I think is the most
> common usage for dollar quoting.

I don't see the need to include $tag$ in _every_ example: a few
examples of $tag$ rather than $$ plus a clear definition of what a
"dollar quote" is allowed to be should be sufficient to let users know
what they can use, and the rest of the time we ought to use whatever is
syntactically clearest.

-Neil