Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Dollar Quoting doc patch--resend.
Date
List pgsql-patches
David Fetter wrote:
> You folks have commit privs, so please settle on something.
>
> Here's $.01 worth:
>
> It ought to be pretty clear in each example that the stuff between the
> $'s can be varied.

Yes, we need to show that it can be varied, but when we are trying to
illustrate another concept, we should show examples that highlight
that concept, not add additional complexity with showing we can put a
tag between $$.  My guess is that if we show $tag$ all the time, folks
will not know that they can just do $$, which I think is the most
common usage for dollar quoting.

With shell HERE documents, you have to supply a tag, while with $$ you
do not, so I think would be very easy for folks to think a tag is
required.