Re: script binaries renaming - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: script binaries renaming
Date
Re: script binaries renaming  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-patches
On Jul 6, 2007, at 5:53 , Dave Page wrote:

> On Fri, July 6, 2007 8:51 am, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2007 17:04 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
>>> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>>>
>>> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
>>> vacuumdb reindexdb
>>
>> I just want to say I dislike this idea.
>
> This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
> Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
> seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.

While the change might be awkward, the names of these binaries really
should be namespaced in some way. The current just too generic to be
throwing into a bin/ directory in my opinion.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net