Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From carl garland
Subject Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing???
Date
List pgsql-general
I think alot of the perceived bashing from the pg community is due
to the fact historically most of mysql's marketing and pr has
been deceptive and outright wrong.  After so much crying wolf it is
hard for the village to believe anything the boy has to say.
The majority of open source db installs are running on what the
pg community percieves to be an inferior product.  Granted it is
*our* perception but if you look at the breakdown of users of mysql
vs postgres it tends to be professional programmer prefer to use
pg.  This is due to the fact that have a more concrete understanding
of the two underlying architectures.  Mysql is a fine product for
the majority of users. Why because it works, is easy to work with,
and the momentum is with them, but if you are a looking at a more
rock solid product with a codebase that will approach the demands
that mission critical Oracle like users need PG is vastly closer and
will be the only choice that will most likely perform up to the
standards that an enterprise solution demands.
These opinions are my own but the more informed programmers (PHDs and
such) will probably agree.