RE: [SQL] Insert a long text - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jackson, DeJuan
Subject RE: [SQL] Insert a long text
Date
List pgsql-sql

If you need to search the text possible solutions:
  1) store the text in chunks in the database.
     in other words instead of just using
       CREATE TABLE my_text(message_id INT, data TEXT)
     try
       CREATE TABLE my_text(message_id INT, chunk_id INT, data TEXT);
     then figure out what your insert limit is and break each TEXT
     block into chunks of that size.
  2) use a full-text-index algorithm (great for searches, but a space
hog).
     not mutually exclusive from option 1 above, but there are
     implementations that could make option 1 unnecessary if you know
that
     you'll never have a text block greater than a certain size.
     Look in the contrib directory of the distribution for a working
     sample/example.
If you don't care about searching:
  3) use large objects
     There are also examples of this in the contrib directory.
     This option could be combined with option 2 to implement searching,

     but I wouldn't want to have to change the implementations to
support
     it.

Hope this helps,
    -DEJ