RE: [SQL] To create the query for a select where one is NOT in th e other - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jackson, DeJuan
Subject RE: [SQL] To create the query for a select where one is NOT in th e other
Date
List pgsql-sql
> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:55:14 -0500
> > From: Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
> > To: pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org
> > Subject: [SQL] To create the query for a select where one is NOT in
> the other
> >
> > I want to specify the following SELECT and can't figure it out:
> >
> >     Table "a" and table "b" have identical schemas
> >
> >     I want to select all the records in "a" in which a key field in
> "a"
> >     does NOT have a corresponding row in "b".
> >
> >     I know how to do this if I want the opposite, that is, if I want
> all
> >     the rows in "a" in which the key IS present in "b" this works:
> >
> >     select a.field1, a.field2 from t1 a, t2 b where a.field1 =
> b.field1;
>
> I think what you need to do is use a subquery:
>
> select key_field from table1 where key_field NOT IN (select key_field
> from
> table2) ;

This query will run faster and get you the same results:
SELECT key_field FROM table1 a WHERE NOT EXISTS(SELECT b.key_field FROM
table2 b WHERE b.key_field = a.key_field);

The reason query two is faster than one is two fold...
1) The second query's subquery will only return row's if and only if
there is a match, unlike the first query which will have to return every
row in table2 for every row in table1 and then compare table1.key_field
to every one of those values.
2) The first query will not use indexes at all.  Where as the second one
will for the subquery and a table scan for table1.

I suggest timing both queries with and without indexes.  And use
'explain' to see the query plans.  Most IN/NOT IN queries can be written
as an EXISTS/NOT EXISTS query and run faster.