RE: [SQL] Where is the problem ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jackson, DeJuan
Subject RE: [SQL] Where is the problem ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Works for me...

test=> select logz('abc','mswindows',2);
logz
----
   3
(1 row)

test=> select * from ipl_use;
ln|user|prog     |ad|     wdate|wtime
--+----+---------+--+----------+--------
 3|abc |mswindows| 2|06-01-1998|15:53:58
(1 row)

test=>

Begin/End are used to tie a unit of work together.  Such as a bank
transfer.  You take money from one account and put it in another. You
want it to happen all at once or not at all (in the case of a overdraft
or lightning strike).
So:
 BEGIN
 LOCK TABLE accounts; -- Just to be safe
 UPDATE accounts
    SET balance = balance - 7500.00
  WHERE acc_num = '653765345';
 UPDATE accounts
    SET balance = balance + 7500.00
  WHERE acc_num = '098439853';
 END
Now assuming that table accounts has a constraint that doesn't allow
balance to go below zero and there is only 6000 in the first account the
transfer wont happen.  This is a very simplistic example but I'm sure
you get the idea.
        Hope this helps,
            -DEJ