Re: DBMS upgrade and backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vibhor Kumar
Subject Re: DBMS upgrade and backups
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 14, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> Am I right that on PostgreSQL upgrade to new major version (e.g. from 9.0 to 9.1) I'll loose my backups (base backups
andwal files will be useless)?

Yes, those Backups would not be valid.

> So to go to past after DB upgrade  I had to install old version(9.0), recover data and then upgrade DBMS software...

You won't be able to use the Data Directory of New Version for PG 9.0, you have to use your old backup.

> What is the preferred way to deal with this issue?

I would recommend to take pg_dump backup with Filesystem Backup before any upgrade.

Can you explain, why are you upgrading to 9.1? Currently there is no Prduction release of 9.1.

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company