Re: DBMS upgrade and backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Pyhalov
Subject Re: DBMS upgrade and backups
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello.

On 03/14/2011 17:38, Vibhor Kumar wrote:
You won't be able to use the Data Directory of New Version for PG 9.0,
you have to use your old backup.

>> What is the preferred way to deal with this issue?
>
> I would recommend to take pg_dump backup with Filesystem Backup before any upgrade.
>
> Can you explain, why are you upgrading to 9.1? Currently there is no Prduction release of 9.1.

I'm not upgrading now. I'm going to deploy 9.0 server in a week, but and
I'm trying to analyze if it will be possible to upgrade to 9.1 (or later
version) in future without lost of backup archive.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,