Re: Planning for Scalability - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Graeme B. Bell
Subject Re: Planning for Scalability
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Roberto,

Hardware etc. is a solution; but you have not yet characterised the problem.

You should investigate if the events are mostly...

- reads
- writes
- computationally intensive
- memory intensive
- I/O intensive
- network I/O intensive
- independent?  (e.g. does it matter if you split the database in two?)

You should also find out if the current server comfortably supports 3 million events per day or if you already have
problemsthere that need addressed.
Whereas if it handles 3 million with plenty of spare I/O, memory, CPU, network bandwidth, then maybe it will handle 5
millionwithout changing anything.

Once you've gathered this information (using tools like pg_stat_statements, top, iotop, ... and by thinking about what
thetables are doing), look at it and see if the answer is obvious.
If not, think about what is confusing for a while, and then write your thoughts and data as a new question to the list.

Graeme.

On 03 Oct 2014, at 10:55, Roberto Grandi <roberto.grandi@trovaprezzi.it> wrote:

> Dear Pg people,
>
> I would ask for your help considering this scaling issue. We are planning to move from 3Millions of events/day
instanceof postgres (8 CPU, 65 gb ram) to 5 millions of items/day.