Re: Planning for Scalability - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: Planning for Scalability
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Roberto Grandi
<roberto.grandi@trovaprezzi.it> wrote:
> Dear Pg people,
>
> I would ask for your help considering this scaling issue. We are planning to move from 3Millions of events/day
instanceof postgres (8 CPU, 65 gb ram) to 5 millions of items/day.

The most important hardware part there is your I/O subsystem, which
you didn't include. Lets assume you put whatever works.

> What do you suggest in order to plan this switch? Add separate server? Increase RAM? Use SSD?

With that kind of hardware, and a RAID10 of 4 SSDs, we're handling
about 6000 peak (1300 sustained) read transactions per second. They're
not trivial reads. They each process quite a lot of data. Write load
is not huge, steady at 15 writes per second, but we've got lots of
bulk inserts/update as well. Peak write thoughput is about 30 qps, but
each query bulk-loads so it's probably equivalent to 3000 or so.

In essence, unless your I/O subsystem sucks, I think you'll be fine.