Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date
Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql  (Rob Wultsch <wultsch@gmail.com>)
Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 19, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> I thought Magnus had a really good point: covering these four cases will
> probably be enough to teach newbies to look at psql's backslash
> commands.  And once they absorb that, we're over a big hump.

+1

On Jan 19, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> I disagree. If they want to use PostgreSQL, they should learn our
> syntax. How can you make sure that this will be enough for them? What if
> they want more?

Why would they want more? It's not MySQL, and they know that. If we give them some very minor helpful hints for the
mostcommon things they try to do, it would be a huge benefit to them. I know I've badly wanted the opposite when I've
hadto use MySQL, but I don't expect MySQL to implement \c for me.

> What if some other people will come up with the idea of adding similar
> functionality for their favorite database? The only exception will be
> Informix IMHO, because of historical reasons.

I think it'd be helpful for other databases, too. Oracle comes to mind: What commands are finger-trained in Oracle
DBAs?

Best,

David