Re: copy in date string "00-00-00 00:00:00" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Phillips
Subject Re: copy in date string "00-00-00 00:00:00"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 14, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Andy Colson wrote:

> On 03/14/2012 08:16 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>

>> Can you run it through sed and replace the "0000-00-00 00:00:00" to
>> NULL (no quotes) ?  That should work.
>>

> I think COPY (depending on arguments) uses \N by default.
>
> Another option is to pull it into a temp table and make fix it up from there.
>
> -Andy

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate it very much.

Yes, that is a good idea. I wasn't sure how to use the NULL clause of the copy command, but I did wonder about other
nullvalues in the data set. There are many as this database grew up over 15+ years of use and many renditions of the
clientapplication.

I am not familiar with sed, except for some trivial bits I nicked off the web. Enough to know it works, and to be
dangerous.Nonetheless, using SED may be the way to go as there are two tables that contain a bit over 3,000,000 rows
each.

 - Mark