Re: [DOCS] inappropriate word 'victim' - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: [DOCS] inappropriate word 'victim'
Date
List pgsql-docs

On Oct 3, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

On 10/03/2017 01:28 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com

​My first inclination was "target" though I suppose its not that much closer to the supposed neutral position on this subjective scale than "victim"​.
Subject didn't sound right either (marginally).  Maybe "named" - "...while connected to the named database."
Given that, aside from 3 release note instances, we never use the word "victim" in the docs leads me to want to change this if just for internal consistency.

Named is probably the best middle ground.

If you click into the documentation for DROP DATABASE [https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-dropdatabase.html] you get:

"Also, it cannot be executed while you or anyone else are connected to the target database."

So there is a precedent for using “target” for this command.

Jonathan