Re: [DOCS] inappropriate word 'victim' - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [DOCS] inappropriate word 'victim'
Date
List pgsql-docs
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> So there is a precedent for using “target” for this command.

I wouldn't object to substituting "target" for "victim"; they're both
pretty specific, and there's little risk of misunderstanding which
database is meant.  I don't know if that amounts to much of an
advance in political correctness, though.

I'm less happy about substituting vaguer words like "subject".
Particularly for non-native English speakers, that seems like it
could be confusing --- eg, if you know the distinction between
subject and object of a sentence, you might think it means the
DB where the command is being issued.