Re: WIP: psql default banner patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas OSB SD
Subject Re: WIP: psql default banner patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > >  * If there is not a version mismatch, psql tells you nothing but
> > > ask for help if you need it.
> >
> > That was NOT part of the agreement.  The version line should stay.
>
> Why do we care, if the version matches? Not that I am feeling like
> fighting about it but it seems just a waste of bytes. It

I think the idea is that the person using psql needs to do things
differently
for different versions. So it spares him from typing an extra command to
know
how to proceed.

+1 for keep version

I personally would prefer to see both psql and server version even if
identical.
This would allow a uniform look and feel.

Andreas